<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

https://northernheads.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Northern Heads: Killer Mike pre-Ferguson Grand Jury speech

11.26.2014

Killer Mike pre-Ferguson Grand Jury speech


The United States of America's people of colour are suffering a profound moment of loss.  The extremely profoundly rare instance of a Grand Jury returning an indictment of the nature that set Darren Wilson free and left Michael Brown dead in the ground has left the nation reeling and taking it to the streets.  His death needless and wrought with profound meaning, consequences and upheaval.  It is not that many Canadians and Americans don't understand the significance of his death.  It's that they just don't care.  It is admittedly hard for white people to understand.  Because white people do not have to have a talk with their boys at a certain age about how they will deal with their first (presumably of many) police stops for walking or driving while being Black.  Killer Mike, who is a profound street prophet if nothing else, speaks to this horror in modern Amerika.  In a bizarre bit of happenstance Run The Jewels happened to have a tour stop in the nearest urban centre to Ferguson, St. Louis Missouri, the night the Jury's verdict was read.  As Mike explains they usually enter to Queen's We Are The Champions but that he doesn't feel like a champion tonight.  The very big man gets audibly choked as he explains best in his own words:

"No matter how much we do it, no matter how much we get together.  Shit comes along and kicks you on your ass and you don't feel like a champion.  So tonight I got kicked on my ass when I listened to that prosecutor.  You mutherfuckers got me today.  I knew it was coming, I knew it when funky Eric Holder decided to resign I knew it wasn't going to be good but I gotta tell you... (chokes) you mutherfuckers got me today.  You knocked me on my ass today because I have a twenty year old son and I have a twelve year old son and I am so afraid for them.  You mutherfuckers... trying to control our lives - you got me today."

Michael Brown - May 20, 1996 - August 9, 2014

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home